If you are having trouble connecting your Feit Electric Smart Plug to Wi-Fi in the app here are some troubleshooting tips that might help.
Check to see if your smartphone is connected to a 2.4 GHz network
Many routers have two bands a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz network. They may or may not be clearly identified. You can use your smartphone to check. If your device is closer to your router (within 5 - 15 feet) it may automatically connect to the 5 GHz band. Here's a video showing how to check your Wi-Fi networks on an iOS device.
- For iOS users: Go to phone settings>Wi-Fi to see the names of the networks available.
- For Android users: Choose Wi-Fi & Wireless Networks. Choose the 2.4 GHz wireless network from the list.
Here's what you might see:
- You could see ONE network: If you only see one Wi-Fi network name that belongs to you it could be a 2.4 GHz network that will work with all Feit Electric smart products. If you have an older router this is more likely because the first routers were single-band routers. If you have a newer router, it might also mean that you have a mesh network that combines the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. If this is the case you might need to contact your router or service provider for assistance to separate the bands.
- You may see TWO or more networks: If you see two or more then you probably have a dual-band router with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. You may even see three bands. There may be a guest network without a password. We recommend you use a network with a password for security.
Look for the 2.4 GHz network option. It may be labeled "24G" or 2G" or something similar. Sometimes it won't be easy to identify and you will need to check your router settings or contact your service provider for assistance. Make sure the network you pick doesn't have anything that includes a "5" at the end.
Check Your Wi-Fi password
Keep in mind that the password is case sensitive. Double-check to be sure you are not using your app password. Passwords containing more than 32 characters will not be accepted.
Consider your Wi-Fi network coverage and bandwidth
Look at where your router is located. If it's in the basement or attic or far away from your device or Wi-Fi is impeded by concrete you may have a coverage issue. Try bringing your device closer to within 20 feet of your router to see if it connects.
You may also need to consider upgrading your router or adding a range extender or booster to improve your coverage and bandwidth availability. Read How to Troubleshoot Wi-Fi for more tips.
Check your router settings
You may need to check your router's admin page where you manage settings including passwords and software updates. Or you may need to consult your router brand, service provider or ISP for assistance. Some things to check include:
- Device limits - your router may have a setting restricting the number of connected devices.
- Manually enabling WPS may be required - check to see if your router or range extenders use WPS or Wi-Fi Protected Setup. This is a wireless standard designed to make connections between routers and wireless devices easier and faster. Sometimes WPS needs to be manually enabled through a button on your router or range-extender or in your router's admin screen. Depending on your network you may need to manually enable WPS to connect your Feit smart device.
Forget your Wi-Fi network and restart your smartphone
- For iOS users: go to Settings> Wi-Fi to see the names of the networks available. Then use the small I sign next to the network name to remove the 2.4 GHz network.
- For Android users: open the settings app> Choose Wi-Fi & Wireless and Networks. Choose the wireless network from the list. Long press the name to forget it.
Then restart your smartphone and reconnect to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network and try installing your smart Feit Electric plug.
Reset and reconnect your Smart Plug/ Power Strip
Press and hold the power button until the indicator light starts blinking rapidly. Then use the Feit Electric app to connect your Smart Plug. Here's the How to Install guide for more information.
Force close the Feit Electric app
For iOS users: If your device has the Home button, just double press to open the App Switcher and then swipe up to quit the app. If you do not have a Home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause slightly in the middle of your screen. Then swipe left or right to select the Feit app and swipe left or right to select the Feit app and swipe up to close.
For Android users: Open the settings app> Choose Apps or Apps & Notifications. You may need to select "See all apps" to view all open applications. Tap the Feit app to force close.
Try AP mode or other connection methods
Your Fiet app will show other connection methods in the connecting screens. One method is AP mode. Here are a video and article on how to use AP Mode.